Every Wednesday at 9:13 am, one of Pittsburgh's finest music writers joins me (Cindy Howes) on the Morning Mix to play a couple favorite news songs and share some insight.
Today we welcome Scott Tady of The Beaver County Times
In case you missed it here's what he played with commentary by Scott (plus some bonus songs):
Black Keys, "Next Girl"
- New album from the Akron, OH duo, Brothers has the band producing themselves with help from Danger Mouse on one track. Scott says:
"You guys are spinning a different tune, I believe, but this is the gem of the album."
Jason and the Scorchers, "Moonshine Guy"
- Nashville Cowpunk band returns with new release after a 15 year absence. They also return with a new Swede drummer named Pontus Snibb. Scott says:
"The most fun song of the year!"
Rising Regina, "Sheets"
- A young bluegrassy band from Pittsburgh, PA. Scott says: "
Another fun one. Bluesy sass from Pittsburgh's Celtic-newgrass band. Why aren't they on Lilith Fair? :-)"
Local Natives, "Wide Eyes"
- Great new band coming out the Silver Lake scene in Los Angeles (Rilo Kiley, Elliott Smith, etc). This band's sound is a great combination of Fleet Foxes and Vampire Weekend. Scott says:
"Already penciled in for the year-end Top-10."
VV Brown, "Leave!"
- Released last year in her native U.K., this album didn't arrive in the States until six weeks ago. Her influences are early-'60s girl groups, electronica and video game sound effects. Scott Says:
"Gotta throw one curveball at you. This song, while bubblegummy, reminds me of something Duffy would sing if she let her hair down ... or Amy Winehouse would sing if she sobered up."