WYEP Celebrates 40 Years of Music and Community
On April 30th, 1974, WYEP signed onto the air from a studio in South Oakland. 40 years later, WYEP has grown to become an independent voice in the Pittsburgh community, providing diverse programming to more than 90,000 listeners a week.
Beginning January 1, 2014, 91.3fm WYEP will kick off it's 40th anniversary celebration. To begin the year-long celebration, the station will host a WYEP Open House on Saturday, January 25th from 10am - 2pm, where listeners will be encouraged to share memorabilia and stories about WYEP's 40 years on air. Learn more about the event.
The kickoff will also reveal a new identity, created by strategic branding and marketing firm BD&E. The new logo takes the station's iconic 'dancer man' and tips him in celebration of the station's long-standing position in the Pittsburgh market.
WYEP's anniversary celebration will be marked by a variety of events, including:
- WYEP's Alternative Souper Bowl event, benefitting local women's shelter HEARTH
- A special WYEP 40th Anniversary concert by Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings on April 13th at the Byham,
- An expanded Summer Music Festival on Saturday, June 28 at Schenley Plaza,
- A gala celebration,
- A special 1974 flashback broadcast on Wednesday. April 30, the 40th anniversary date,
- And an ongoing broadcast of time capsules highlighting former hosts, stories and music celebrating 40 years of great music in Pittsburgh.
As more information regarding WYEP's 40th Anniversary Celebration becomes available, it will be posted on this page. In the meantime, WYEP's General Manager, Abby Goldstein, and Program Director Kyle Smith are available for comment and interviews.